Stephen L. Pettler, Jr. is an attorney who maintains a nationwide practice representing clients in complex business litigation and transactional matters. He is the managing member of Harrison & Johnston, PLC in Winchester, Virginia. Mr. Pettler serves as general counsel to a number of national businesses, as well as local counsel to national and multi-national companies in Virginia. Mr. Pettler has closed scores of multi-million dollar business transactions and litigated cases throughout the country. Mr. Pettler regularly appears before the Virginia Supreme Court and has appeared before appellate courts in other jurisdictions. He was recognized as a rising star SuperLawyer by Richmond Magazine and Virginia Law and Politics Magazine.
Mr. Pettler was raised in Prince George County, Virginia and was graduated from Prince George County High School. Mr. Pettler was further educated at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia and the European Business School at Regents College, London. He received his B.A. in English Language and Literature from UVa. in 1990. Mr. Pettler was graduated from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1994. While at PITT, Mr. Pettler participated in a joint program with MBA students at the Carnegie-Mellon University Tepper School of Business where teams of students ran competing businesses in a highly sophisticated, computer generated model economy.
Mr. Pettler began his law practice in 1994 with Vollmer Rulong & Associates, P.C. in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Vollmer Rulong was a boutique firm specializing in high-dollar complex commercial litigation and Chapter 11 debtor reorganizations.
Mr. Pettler moved to Virginia in 1999 and continues his practice with Harrison & Johnston, PLC. In 2005, Mr. Pettler became the Managing Member of Harrison & Johnston, PLC.
Mr. Pettler has served on the boards of numerous charitable, civic and industry organizations. Mr. Pettler served as a member of the Legislative Committee for the Home Builders Association of Virginia and as a Trustee of HBAV’s BuildPac. Mr. Pettler represents a number of large not-for-profit organizations as general counsel. Mr. Pettler also represents a number of not-for-profit private schools.
Bar Admission Details
1994– Pennsylvania and U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania; U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Pennsylvania; U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
1999– Virginia and U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia; U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Virginia; U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
2001– U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia; U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia
2005– U.S. Tax Court
2010– U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia; United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
Admitted pro hac vice in numerous courts across the country
Associations & Memberships
- Winchester-Frederick Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association (Inactive; Past Member: Young Lawyers Division; By-Laws Committee)
- Virginia State Bar (Member, Business and Real Estate Sections)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Home Builders Association of Virginia (Board of Directors; Legislative Committee)
- Trustee, Home Builders Association of Virginia Build-Pac
- Top of Virginia Building Association (Government Affairs Committee)
- Frederick County, Virginia Developmental Impact Model Review Oversight Committee
- Panelist, Eighth and Ninth Annual Tri-State Bankruptcy Symposia, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Serves as pro bono legal counsel to numerous charitable and civic organizations
- Incorporator, Winchester Masonic Museum Association, Inc.
- Member, Bonnie Blue Partners LC– Bonnie Blue Southern Market & Bakery